Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Three Years as a Domestic Diva!


Tee hee, check out the hair and lipstick on my badge, this was taken back in December 1997 when I was hired by Compaq. 

October 23rd, 2006...it's the day I waited for since I went back to work after maternity leave. It was the first day that I was so blessed to be able to stay home with my babies.  I think back to this day each anniversary and I am sooo lucky that my prayers were answered!!  Thank you Lord and thank you Tim for all that you do for us, we appreciate you so very much!

Compaq/Hewlett-Packard was sooooo good to me.  Especially as a mother.  Anytime I needed to stay home with the kids, there was never an issue. I loved that I could work at home. I loved that I could always take time off to go to Blake and Sydney's preschool parties and events.  When Blake started kindergarten, I could leave to help volunteer in his classroom.  I even left work at 3pm every day to make sure I was home in time to get him off the bus and then worked at home the rest of the afternoon!  What more could a mother want, it was the perfect setup!

I had mentioned to Tim about a year earlier that I was ready to stay home.  It wasn't the right time financially though.  I remember January 2006 - I was no longer happy working, things were so different at work - a first ever for me.  I was so upset when I had to drop Sydney off at daycare, I cried the whole way to work day after day.  I moved to a new team, had tons of projects, tons of conference calls, worked late, had lots of travels and I had a new, single, work-a-holic boss who didn't like excuses or taking days off - so not what I was used to. I could no longer stand the stress, being in a bad mood all the time, crying and especially missing my kids.  So when my boss told us another round of layoffs was coming, I knew this was my chance.  It was time to leave it all behind.  It was bittersweet!  God works in mysterious ways -  Tim had just received a really good raise and he told me the good news that things would be ok if I left.  I let my boss know I was willing to go to save someone's job.  It was the best decision I have ever made!

I have so many great memories in the 10 years I worked...friendships I made, the things I learned, major events that I helped pull off, speakers I heard, conferences I attended, fun classes I took, great company outings I went on and travels to Michigan, New York City, Austin, Toronto twice, Atlantic City, Miami, San Diego and almost India (thank goodness that didn't happen).

Do I miss having a paycheck?  Yes, but I will never regret all the time I get to spend with my babies.  I am able to do what so many working mothers dream of but can't afford to.  I remember sitting at my desk daydreaming of the day I would get to stay home.  I never thought I'd be able to do it and here I am.  It is possible!   I am having so much fun.  I love being able to be with Brody all day...my first non-daycare baby...boy is it hard work but so rewarding!!  I can't imagine having to do the rat race with three children.

Thank you, thank you, thank you Tim for all that you do and for giving me this gift of being able to raise our children and for letting me see all the precious moments I can never get back!  I love you!  :-)

2 comments:

  1. So beautifully written! It brought tears to my eyes because I know the agony you went through. And it also reminded me of what it was like to not be with Jacob as a baby. And how I wanted to be with him so bad!!! We are both so blessed to be able to stay home with our little ones. God is good, isn't he?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I forgot to tell you...I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE your modified badge. Such a cute idea!!

    ReplyDelete