Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Ten Years Ago...


Ten years ago...our lives changed forever! Ten years ago, we became parents to our dream baby boy, Blake Ryan, our Millenium baby!  I remember when Daddy and I picked out your name.  We were 18.  We dreamed about having you for 10 years.  We wondered what you would look like and picked little babies and kids out that we thought looked like you (even before you were born).  College, jobs and marriage had to come first!  I was terrified of being pregnant, let alone being a mother.  I didn't think I would be good at it.  I loved my time to myself, I loved time with Daddy, I loved being able to do whatever we wanted.  That all changed the minute we laid eyes on you, our precious Blakey! 

You gave mommy a heck of a time at the end.  I was on bed rest for 6 weeks before you were born.  You were due on April 28th, but decided to stay nice n cozy until Thursday, May 11, 2000.  I had a long day of labor, I was tired, I was hungry, I was throwing up and yes in pain until that epidural arrived!!  To top it off, pushing you out for 2 1/2 hours was exhausting!!  Then came the big moment, the moment I saw you and heard you cry...12:55am.  The moment that changed our lives forever. 

As exhausted as I was, I didn't want to let you out of my site.  I hated when they took you away to get your bath and all spified up for us!  Everyone else got to hang out by the nursery window to see you, everyone but me!  Word had it, you were the biggest baby in the nursery.  A whopping 9 pounds and 15 ounces...goodness, and all natural baby, no C-Section!!

We brought you home from the hospital on Mother's Day and our story with you began!  I soon came to realize, that it was no longer about me or about us, it was all about you and your needs!  I cherished every moment with you.  I loved watching you sleep, listening to your breathing, listening to your cooing, and feeling your baby soft skin!  I was heartbroken when I had to go back to work when you were just 8 weeks old. 

You have taught us so much...about patience, selflessness, helping others, unconditional love.  You helped me laugh when I had a bad day at work, you allowed me to be myself and to grow as a person and a mommy.  I can never thank you enough for all the gifts you have given me!  You make me laugh daily, I love how you take care of your momma even without my asking.  I'm so glad to be your mommy and look forward to the next decade of your life (it better not go as fast as these last 10 years)!!

Ten Things I Love About You!
  • 1.  You always think of others and you are a great friend, a great student and a great baseball player!
  • 2.  Your creativity (I think you'll be an architect or an engineer) and your simplicity (the smallest and littlest things excite you)!
  • 3.  You always help me out when I need a hand, without asking!
  • 4.  You still call me mommy or momma...love that and you truly care about me.  I'll never forget being pregnant with Brody and you took such good care of me, at age 8 - helping me in and out of the car, carrying bags and my purse for me and you brought me my Tums everynight without fail when I had horrible heartburn!!
  • 5.  You clean the entire house without me asking and you don't like me to look until you are all finished.  I know how much you love that allowance money
  • 6.  Your persistence!!! You never let anything go without trying at least 10 times!!
  • 7.  I love how you share my love of radio and music.  I crack up that you are Mr. Knowitall when it comes to songs.  You are Mr. Jukebox, Mr. iPod, Mr. I'll Study All the Words Till I Get it Right!  And your shower jam sessions with your clapping and band sounding foot stomping just makes us laugh so hard!
  • 8.  You love your family, and I know you love your sister to pieces even though you fight with her!
  • 9.  I love when you cuddle with me on the couch with your head on my shoulder and we watch tv together and you twirl my hair!
  • 10.  I love our date nights when it's just you and me and we go to dinner to talk and go see a movie!
I hope you have a great 10th birthday.  You are two years away from junior high, three years away from being a teenager, five years away from high school, six years away from driving (ugg)!, and eight years away from becoming an adult, graduating from high school, going to your prom and leaving us to go to college!!  We can't wait to share all those moments with you.  Thank you for being you and I'm so glad that God chose me to be your momma!!


These are some of my favorite pictures of you through the years!


You were a monster of a baby!

6 months

14 months

2 years

3 years

4 years

5 years

6 years

7 years

8 years

9 years old

You are so special to me and I love you more than you could ever imagine!

Happy 10th Birthday!
Love, Momma!


No comments:

Post a Comment